Availing of a budget VPS may be a new experience for you. Thus, it can be overwhelming. Avoid the confusion by using the helpful tips given in this buyer’s guide for budget VPS. You would find simple things to do before, during and after the purchase:
Before the purchase
- Assess your company or business’ needs. One advantage of availing of budget VPS is that you can customize the specifications of your order according to the unique needs of your business. That way, you would not need to pay on features that you would not actually use. Here are some of the factors you need to consider before you close the deal for your VPS.
- Disk space. This is the storage space. At present, how much disk space does your company need? You should also have the foresight to calculate future disk space needs as your company grows. You would not want to have the burden of transferring all your data from one hosting provider to another simply because you have overlooked the capacity of the present hosting provider?
- RAM (random access memory). How much RAM would your company require now and in the future? It would always be an advantage to have a margin for growth. You would not want and expect your company to remain the same throughout the years, would you?
- Bandwidth. This is concern with the rate of data transfer. How fast or how slow that data transfer is would depend on your bandwidth. You may see offers such as “unlimited bandwidth”. It could actually be deceiving as there is no such thing really as that. If you need a higher bandwidth, be ready to pay for it.
- Security. Everybody values privacy of information and security of pertinent data. Therefore, check the security system plan of the offer. There should be firewall and intrusion protection as part of the package.
- Budget. How much is the company willing to shell out for the budget VPS? Prices can have a range of around $4 to $50 per month, depending on the specifications. Remember, this would be a monthly obligation so consider all angles before you give your go signal.
During the purchase
At this point, your attention would center on the following concerns:
- Activation time. You would want to start as soon as you can, right? Most web hosting providers would allot just a couple of minutes of your time to activate your VPS account. This, of course, comes after the processing of your payment. However, just to be on the safe side, inquire on the amount of time needed to activate your account.
- Installation. Most web hosting providers of VPS have no managed servers, meaning the user would be the one responsible to install, secure, troubleshoot, and manage everything in his account. This is not a big deal for the experts on webhosting. However, for the newbie’s, this could prove to be challenging. This is why you need to really check the costumer service support system, which is also the 3rd point.
- Customer service support system. Find out what are the different support systems and if they are available 24/7.
After the purchase and activation
You are now ready to start. You are now concern with the uptime of the web server. This is how the webhost providers maintain and keep their system running.
Also, once in a while, you may experience crashes. Though this is rare but even with a high bandwidth, it cannot be avoided.
Lastly, your focus is on the effects or impact of budget VPS on your business. You should start monitoring the number of visits, the flow of traffic, increase in sales and return of your investment of the VPS, among other things.